"To preserve the reputation of the Fraternity unsullied must be your constant care."

BE A FREEMASON

Sunday, April 26, 2009

My Day In Queens

I had a great time at Advance Lodge in Queens yesterday at Quest XXIX. Many thanks to Jay and all of the brethren there for their kind hospitality and their warm welcome. And I thoroughly enjoyed Richard Eberle's presentation on the Templars and the GL of New York's acquisition of the Vatican's reprint of the Chinon Parchment.

I spent the afternoon over at Flushing Meadows Corona Park looking for my lost youth—the site of the 1964 Word's Fair. I was last there when I was 6. Apart from the incredible Unisphere built for the fair, and the crumbling New York Pavilion (destroyed in the end of Men In Black), the Atlas and Titan rockets at the Hall of Science, along with the acres of non-functioning fountains, there is not much to recognize from my day at the Fair. The Terrace restaurant overlooking the park is also still there. I recall that it had a heliport on the roof, back in the days when Pan Am operated helicopter service from their roof in Manhattan. Life was so much more futuristic in 1964.

But the intrepid Mason will find the statue of George Washington in Masonic regalia, erected by the Masons of New York and appropriately surrounded by blossoming cherry trees.




And in the stylized tile map of the fairgrounds that still exists to the east of the Unisphere, good eyes will spot the square and compasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ATTENTION!
SIGN YOUR NAME OR OTHERWISE IDENTIFY YOURSELF IN YOUR COMMENT POSTS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
Your comments will not appear immediately because I am forced to laboriously screen every post. I'm constantly bombarded with spam. Depending on the comments being made, anonymous postings on Masonic topics may be regarded with the same status as cowans and eavesdroppers, as far as I am concerned. If you post with an unknown or anonymous account, do not automatically expect to see your comment appear.